Sunday, April 25, 2010

My relentless pursuit of perfectionism

I started this blog with the best of intentions. I wanted a forum where I could drop some of my usual diplomacy and really talk about the things that matter to me in the birth world. I wanted a place to develop my voice as an activist, where I could learn about myself as I continued to define and refine my thoughts about modern maternity care. In short, I wanted a place where I could say "HEY YOU GUYS! DID YOU SEE THIS?!?!" and give my untempered opinion.

But I ended up not doing much of that, and instead spent who-knows-how-long fact-checking and finding statistics to back up my opinions and making doubly sure that everything I posted was accurate, accurate, accurate. And that was useful (I guess, but damn, itt wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be!!

So a new direction: I will start posting more. I won't try to achieve perfection before I hit "publish post." I will be gracious and willing to accept it when commentors challenge my beliefs, but I won't spend so much time worrying about diplomacy. I will find my voice- my true voice- and, hopefully, that voice will be one people enjoy hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment